I just had the urge to make some cinnamon muffins after reading Baking Bite’s post.
I made a batch tonight and it turned out absolutely scrumptious. The muffins came out moist and soft, but not too much spongy like a cake. This was a great muffin. Breakfast tomorrow will be heaven. :)
Breakfast Cinnamon Muffins
Makes 11 muffins.
(Don’t divide it into 12 unless you’re adding 1/2-1 cup fruit/nuts/chips to batter)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line 11 muffin cups with paper liners. Fill the 12th cup halfway with water to prevent burning.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and 1 tsp cinnamon.
- In a large bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup white sugar and 1/2 cup of brown sugar and the egg until smooth. Beat in vegetable oil and vanilla. Working in 2 or 3 additions, alternate adding the flour and the buttermilk to the sugar mixture, stiring until just combined.
In a small bowl, stir together remaining brown sugar and cinnamon.
Fill each muffin cup about 1/2 full. Sprinkle with a scant 1/2 tsp of the brown sugar mixture into each cup. Evenly divide remaining batter on top and sprinkle with remaining sugar mixture.
- Bake at 400F for 15-18 minutes, until a tester comes out clean.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before eating. :)